philfriel

Tales from the Infinite Horizon

The Endless Universes of Space and Time

New SF Books - Some Cordwainer Smith Short Fiction Collections

I'm back on a book binge at the moment, all sorts of books from Amazon, Ebay and other sources. From the SF lit side of things, I've been concentrating on one of my favourite authors, Cordwainer Smith, and the first batch of four Smith books has recently arrived on my doorstep.

The first of the Smith books is the original 1968 Pyramid Books paperback edition of The Underpeople, which is the second half of Smith's only SF novel, NORSTRILIA. The first half was The Planet Buyer, which I already have in it's original Pyramid 1964 paperback edition. I've had the Sphere Books 1975 UK paperback edition of The Underpeople for years, but I wanted the original US Pyramid edition to go with my US original edition of The Planet Buyer.

The other three books are interesting in that they are three different editions of the same book, namely The Best of Cordwainer Smith. First we have the July 1975 hardcover Book Club Edition edition, published by Nelson Doubleday Inc, then the September 1975 Ballantine Books 1st paperback edition. Aside from the larger size and different dustcover art of the hardcover edition, everything is exactly the same, except for a couple of things. Two of the stories are reversed in order for some inexplicable reason, and J.J. Pierce's excellent Future History Timeline is in a much easier to read vertical format in the hardcover, whereas in the paperback edition it's in a harder to read horizontal format spanning several levels.

The third version of the book is actually a UK edition, trade paperback format, No.10 in the SF Masterworks series, published by Gollancz/Orion. Aside from the larger size and beautiful cover art, the internals of this edition are exactly the same as the Ballantine 1st US paperback edition, including the horizontal format Future History Timeline. This one is worth having for the lovely cover artwork and the fact that it's one of the SF Masterworks series.

I've still got several more Cordwainer Smith books due to arrive soon in the post. I'll list those when they arrive.